|Epistle to the
- How does Polycarp carry on New Testament thinking
and tradition, especially the Pastoral Epistles (I & II Timothy
- What does he regard as the character necessary
- What views does he condemn as heretical?
- What direction does he give for correcting
The Martyrdom of Polycarp (ca. 155-156AD)
- How would you describe Polycarp's
conviction? Is he heroic?
- Why do the Christians love him and his
bones? Is this an acceptable practice?
- Does his prayer have Eucharistic
qualities as note 20 suggests?
- Likewise, does his death have
- How is Christ the proto-martyr?
The Martyrs of Lyon (ca. 177AD)
- Why do the authors describe the events
as a spiritual battle?
- What are some of the motivations of the
martyrs and of their persecutors?
- What is ironic about what happens to the
apostates? Are the authors right to see it the way they do?
- What things in the account did you find
- What is the spiritual benefit of
General Questions for Reflection
- Is martyrdom admirable? Why or why not?
- What would you do in the martyrs'
- Is apostasy a sin? Why or why not?