The Nobility (MR 90-101)
"The Function of
Knighthood" from John of Salisbury &"The
Chivalric Ideal" from Diaz de Gamez
- How would you compare and contrast John
and Diaz's view of the knightly ideal?
- What are the knight's responsibilities
to others in the society?
- How realistic do you think this ideal
"The Murder of a Feudal
Lord" from Galbert of Bruges
- How does the question of class status
and freedom give rise to the count's murder?
- How does the provost's family and the
people of Borsiard treat the other classes?
- How is piety described in this account?
- Do you think Galbert's perspective on
the event is the correct one? Why and/or why not?
(129-135, 139-148, 154-166)
"The Feet of
the Commonwealth" from John of Salisbury &"The
Duties of Manorial Offices" from Seneschaucie
Is the ideal described by
John of Salisbury compatible with the virtues described by the author
of Seneschaucie? Why and/or why not?
Why are such virtues
necessary to uphold manorial life?
of a Merchant" from Reginald of Durham
How does Reginald seek to
bring together Godric's piety with his business sense?
Why does Godric eventually
give up the life of a merchant?
"Advice to a
Norwegian Merchant" from The King's Mirror
How would you classify the
various kinds of advice the father gives his son about being a
Is it all good advice? Why
and/or why not?