College of Humanities & Social
Rob Sullivan, J.D., Dean
Marilyn Edwards, Ph.D., Associate Dean
> Academics > Undergraduate
College of Humanities & Social Sciences
Believing that the basis of a quality higher education in the liberal arts relies upon a solid foundation in the humanities and social sciences, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences offers courses that provide all university students, regardless of major, a broad foundation in the traditional liberal arts. Encompassing a variety of courses in a core curriculum of General Studies requirements, this foundation includes English, history, political science, psychology, and sociology. For students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree, basic courses in foreign languages are also provided. The college enhances students' educational experiences through this General Studies curriculum and through additional elective credit. The college offers majors leading to either a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice, interdisciplinary studies, history, political science, psychology, and sociology, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. Minors are also offered in all these areas except for interdisciplinary studies. A minor in Spanish is also offered for faculty-approved students. Courses in Chineseare also offered.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences, believing that both faith and learning are lifelong experiences, strives to expose students to the contents and methods of the humanities and social sciences while developing the patterns of academic excellence and scholarship representative of a commitment to the perpetual experience of education. Because the college is committed to the integration of faith and learning, the studies provided in the humanities and social sciences encourage students to understand, to analyze, and to participate in the interaction between faith and the disciplines. Such learning should equip students to become effective servant leaders who understand the essential connection between personal faith and lifelong learning and service.
Goals of the College
- Learners in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will demonstrate skills in analysis and critical thinking.
- Learners in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will demonstrate servant leadership through involvement in internships and service-learning projects in each of their majors.
- Learners in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will demonstrate the ability to integrate faith and learning by testing the creative insights gained through studies in the humanities and social sciences against the standards of divine truth exemplified in the text of the Bible and as represented by historic Christian doctrine.
- Learners in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will discover servant leadership and exemplify the character of Christ through excellence in student-teacher relationships.
- Learners in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. Constitution, American Government, and the requirements of city government in the United States.