Retention in the Program
> Academics > College
of Education >
Retention in the Program
Students must fulfill the following conditions
to continue in the Educator Preparation Program:
- Students must maintain and graduate with an overall institutional GPA of
3.0 and must maintain and graduate with an institutional GPA of 3.0 in his or her teaching field/academic
- Students must be advised by a College of
Education advisor before enrollment each semester. Additional
conferences may be required by the advisor.
- Personal conduct must be in harmony with
- Students must reflect those personal qualities and professional characteristics identified by the Educator Preparation Program Committee which are conducive for employment in a teaching position.
- A professional attitude must be developed
and maintained during the sequence of professional educational
- Students are required to take the appropriate
Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) to be eligible
for recommendation to SBEC for certification. These tests
include a pedagogy and professional responsibilities test
and a content area test. All of the following must be fulfilled
regarding the TExES:
must enroll in and attend Educator Preparation Seminars,
and pass a practice TExES test(s).
will not be approved to take TExES tests
until they have scored 85 percent or above on the
appropriate practice test given by the University.
are permitted to take only one TExES test per test
administration. Secondary students may take their
subject area TExES after all course work in that field
is completed and they have scored 85 percent
or above on the university practice test.
who do not achieve a passing score on the TExES test(s)
will be required to attend TExES study sessions before
being approved to retake the test(s).
Students may also be required to seek help from professors
in their teaching field/academic concentration.
- Students must complete three days of pre-student
teaching observation at the beginning of the public school
year in which they are scheduled for student teaching. This includes those students who are scheduled for studen tteacyhing during the spring or fall semesters.
- All students seeking educator certification
must complete the program of study for educator certification
in their subject area as approved by the Teacher Certification Committee, the University, and the State Board for Educator
to Top of Page]
[Return to Previous Page]