Admission to the Teacher Certification
> Academics > College
of Education > Admission
to the Educator Preparation Program
First Year and transfer students are encouraged to declare their intention to work toward educator certification as early as possible after enrolling at DBU. A College of Education advisor counsels with each student individually to develop a semester-by-semester degree plan to assure proper sequence of courses. Teacher Candidates wishing to officially enter the Educator Preparation Program should make application to the program during the sophomore year (after 45 semester hours) or transfer students after one semester of residence at DBU. Applications to the program will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Required level of performance on all three
sections of the THEA test with minimum scores of 260
on the reading section, and 240 on each of the writing and
- An application of petition filed with the
College of Education requesting admission to the Educator Preparation Program.
- Complete an Interview
with a full-time College of Education faculty member.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours
with a minimum overall Grade Point Average of 3.0 and
a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average in the teaching field/academic
concentration at the time of application to the program.
The 3.0 GPA criteria must be maintained to remain in
the program. Transfer students must meet these same requirements and apply after a semester of residence at DBU.
- One semester completed at DBU.
- Verification of intent to uphold Educator Code of Ethics.
- Three letters of recommendation must be submitted: (1) from the College of Education and (2) from their content area.
- Thirty hours of observation.
- Prior to application to the Teacher Certification
Program, a degree plan must be selected by the Teacher Candidate and
a College of Education advisor and filed with the College
- Completion of the following courses: EDUC 3313, and MATH 1303.
- Evidence of the Knowledge, Skills and Dispositions desired in a Teacher Candidate as judged by the Teacher
Certification Program Committee.
- Math and Science certification majors must have completed 15 credit hours prior to admission to the Educator Preparation Program. All other content areas must have completed 12 credit hours prior to admission to the Education Preparation Program.
- Upon receipt of a letter of admission to the Educator Preparation Program, candidate must provide a written response acknowledgement of acceptance of admittance to the program.
Teacher Candidates admitted to the Educator Preparation Program are
required to attend a minimum of ten Student Education Association
(SEA) meetings before graduation. Teacher Candidates transferring to DBU with 60-89 semester
hours are required to have eight SEA attendances, while those
with 90 or more hours need six attendances. A record of SEA
attendances is maintained in the Teacher Candidate's file to determine
eligibility for certification.
Candidates in the educator preparation program are required to purchase a TaskStream account. TaskStream is used to create an e-Portfolio.
(S-L)= Course(s) with field-based service-learning component.
[Back to Top of
to Previous Page]