Admission to the Educator Preparation
> Academics > College
of Education > Admission
to the Educator Preparation Program
First Year and transfer students are encouraged to declare their intention to work toward educator certification as early as possible after enrolling at DBU. A College of Education advisor counsels with each student individually to develop a semester-by-semester degree plan to assure proper sequence of courses. Teacher Candidates wishing to officially enter the Educator Preparation Program should make application to the program during the sophomore year (after 45 semester hours) or transfer students after one semester of residence at DBU. Applications to the program will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Required level of performance on all three
sections of the THEA test with minimum scores of 260
on the reading section, and 240 on each of the writing and
- An application of petition filed with the
College of Education requesting admission to the Educator Preparation Program. Approval also must be provided by the student's College of Education advisor.
- Completion of an interview
with a College of Education faculty member.
- Completion of at least 45 semester hours
with a minimum overall Grade Point Average of 3.0 and
a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average in the teaching field/academic
concentration at the time of application to the program.
The 3.0 GPA criteria must be maintained to remain in
the program. Transfer students must meet these same requirements and apply after a semester of residence at DBU.
- Prior to application to the Educator Preparation Program, a degree plan must be selected by the student and a College of Education advisor and filed with the Registrar.
- Evidence of the personal qualities and characteristics desired in a teacher as judged by the Educator Preparation Program Committee.
- Signed Revised Code of Ethics and Standard Practicies for Texas Educators must be kept in the student file.
- Math and Science certification majors must have completed 15 credit hours prior to admission to the Educator Preparation Program. All other content areas must have completed 12 credit hours prior to admission to the Education Preparation Program.
- Upon receipt of a letter of admission to the Educator Preparation Program, candidate must provide a written response acknowledgement of acceptance of admittance to the program.
Teacher Candidates admitted to the Educator Preparation Program are
required to attend a minimum of ten Student Education Association
(SEA) meetings before graduation. Teacher Candidates transferring to DBU with 60-89 semester
hours are required to have eight SEA attendances, while those
with 90 or more hours need six attendances. A record of SEA
attendances is maintained in the Teacher Candidate's file to determine
eligibility for certification.
Candidates in the educator preparation program are required to purchase a TaskStream account. TaskStream is used to create an e-Portfolio.
(S-L)= Course(s) with field-based service-learning component.
[Back to Top of
to Previous Page]