Military Guidelines

DBU Home > Academics > PRST 3303 > Tools > Military Guidelines

Home Announcements FAQ Site Search Tools

Academic Credit for Prior Military

Students with prior military service may qualify for academic credit for their experiences.
DBU will accept credit recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE) ------as specified in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed

1. Army courses and military occupational specialties (MOSs)
2. Navy General rates, ratings, warrant officer and limited duty officer specialties
3. Air Force courses
4. Coast Guard courses
5. Marine Corps courses
6. Department of Defense courses


Pay grade E3 must be reached before any credit can be given. DBU does not accept credit at the vocational level, or credit that is duplicated through other courses. Duplication can be determined by reading the Objective and Instruction section of the Guide Entry.

In order to receive credit, course names, numbers, and dates must exactly match those listed in the ACE Guidebook.


Army Service: (Active duty since 10/1/81)

For Army personnel entering active duty on or after 10/1/81, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) transcript is available. This transcript documents military training and experience and is acceptable for credit by the DBU Registrar.
To obtain the transcript, submit DA Form 545R, Address request for Army/ American Council on Education Transcript to:

AARTS Operations Center
415 McPherson Avenue
Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas 66027-1373

Air Force Service:

Students requesting credit for Air Force experiences must submit a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force. ACE has not evaluated any Air Force courses since 1973, and does not evaluate anything listed on the CCAF transcript. To obtain the transcript, write:

Community College of the Air Force
Maxwell AFB
Maxwell, Alabama 36112-6613

Navy-Marines-Coast Guard-Department of Defense:

(Include Army if active duty is prior to 10/81)

Any student with military service who is not eligible for the AARTS or CCAF transcript must submit the following information:

1. DD Form 214, (Armed Forces Report of Transfer of Discharge)

If you no longer possess a copy of your DD214 write:

General Services

National Personnel Records
Center (Military Personnel Records)

9700 Page Boulevard

St. Louis, Missouri 63132

2. DD Form 2586 is not acceptable as verification of course completion.

3. If available, copies of certificates of completion, transcripts or other information which verifies training.

4. Submit a copy of those page(s) from the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services* that describes the service school course.

5. Course names, numbers and dates from the guidebook and the DD214 or DD295 must match exactly.

* Guides are available for use in the College of Professional Studies.

6. The required information should be submitted to a counselor in the College of Professional Studies who will review it and submit the information to the Registrar for final evaluation.

7. A $25 per course fee will be charged for each course transcribed to the students transcript.

8. The Registrar's Office at DBU will evaluate the service school course completed and award credit based on ACE recommendations and university policy. Students will receive a copy of those courses recommended for credit.

<< Back to Tools

Original material copyright © 1999 Dallas Baptist University. All rights reserved. Other copyrighted material, if any, included by permission or authorization.


DBU Home > Academics > PRST 3303 > Tools > Military Guidelines

© 2002 Dallas Baptist University. See Legal Notices
Contact DBU at 1-800-460-1DBU or E-Mail Us
Report technical problems to the Webmaster